Friday, April 8, 2011

Tomato Makin'

Today I potted up my tomato plants in larger pots so that they can get a little bigger before heading out into the elements. They have been growing in the basement...

under fluorescent lights.


They seemed to be outgrowing their small pots so I made some new ones...with a technique I learned from my grandpa's wife Pat.

I took two full sheets of newspaper (equaling four layers) and folded them in half, then wrapped them around this soup can. Then I tucked in the bottom and stapled it (they didn't look pretty from the bottom, but the soil weight holds it down). And there you have it...free, biodegradable pots. Pat plants them directly in the ground, I may take the plants out of the pots depending on how broken down they are when they are ready to go in the ground.


And then I got my hands a little dirty.


Hopefully they will be happy in their new homes. You'll know if someone rings your doorbell and leaves tomatoes that it worked, even if you live far from these plants the tomatoes will find you.
I potted up 8 Romas, 4 cherries, 4 brandywines and will soon pot up more of those varieties as well as some beefsteaks. I also put one Roma in the garden with a milk jug over it, which I have never done before.

Our onions are going strong as well, this picture makes them look gigantic!
The season starts so much earlier here than it does in Portland. It's pretty wonderful right now but it will get to a heat, fairly soon, that greens and such cannot handle. If I stay in the midwest I will work on growing greens in the heat of the summer, perhaps shade cloth or some other cooling device can be employed.

No comments: